Saturday, September 11, 2010

Brandable Me

Well, it has been some time between posts. It was summer, I had an art show and I was obsessed with finishing some paintings, have a look at http://pk2kart.blogspot.com to see my recent single-minded focus. 

My big learning over the summer was about consumer marketing. It is field where I have had very little experience as most of my career has been in government or government-funded environments. These have been largely business to business corporate communications models.

But this summer, I held an art show of my work over the last year - my severance and EI show I informally called it, but the public name was Reflections on Windows. Here's what I learned.

First, marketing is all about a differentiated brand promise. Well, I certainly learned that as a individual, being able to talk about my passion for visual art was an immediate differentiator. All of a sudden, I had a subject to talk about people in my network. In fact, they almost always bring it up in our conversations and meetings, asking what I am working on, when is my next show and how I find ideas or work with my materials. I have actually been quite surprised at the interest it has created. It's a little bit of buzz marketing almost every day.

Second, as I organized a show, I had to tell people about it. And here is where more consumer marketing discoveries happened. Like others, I have hundreds of email, Facebook and LinkedIn contacts. Well, I had to invite them and if they could not come, provide a web locations for them to look at the paintings in the show. As a result, one of the things I finally got around to was a blog about my paintings (see reference in first line). I have been delaying this for quite some time, but it was a necessity. And I needed some print products as well. So I had to design it, get it printed and distribute and then remind people, answer their emails and basically organize a campaign all about me!

As marketing needs to be measured, here's my assessment. On the failure side, my reception was a bust. I put it on Sunday, July 4. Big mistake, weekday evenings are the best, so next time it will be Thursday and I'm sure I will get out some folks. On the positive side, I may sell as many as three of the eight paintings, which would be great and about as good as I can expect at this point of my development. And now I have postcards that can serve as business cards, a blog and lots more people who know I paint and ask me what I'm working on. One of my discoveries is that for artists, having a show is really the litmus test of whether you are really one or not. Following both my shows (last year and this year), I had sales inquiries from people who did not even attend! It's just that in the public mind, if you have a show, you are somehow a real artist. I would have never found that out without doing it myself.

Overall, the show was a lot of work in many non-communications areas, but also in my own profession, teaching me the dynamics of branding and marketing in a way that could not be more personal. Thanks for reading!






2 comments:

  1. Suggestions for domain name of my portfolio website?
    Domain Names

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog are very amazing and interesting with all the information about the getting your products and brands which i really love it.
    get your product visibility

    ReplyDelete