Saturday, August 29, 2009

Why is it so hard to change anything?

One of the things I learned over the last few years is just how difficult it is to change anything.

I don't think my organization was unique in that its shortcomings were obvious, but it was hard to do anything about them. And the times that I succeeded in making any change (never alone in any success but always as part of a team), I always felt that it was harder and took longer than it should have.

Not being the most patient of persons, this always bothered me. I realize now I need to get used to it. Everywhere I look and everyone I talk to drives this message home. I have taken courses on change management, been involved in change initiatives and tried to be a 'change champion', but it just boils down to an incredible amount of work to succeed at changing anything - for the better that is! And how fragile those gains are, it's amazing how quickly any progress can be lost.

I guess realizing how much work it takes to succeed at anything - big or small - is part of the maturing process. Knowing it theoretically and feeling it every day as you slog up the hill are two different ways of knowledge.

I hope that one of the learnings I can take from these last few months of my work transition - that I really don't want to forget - is just how much time, effort, helping others along and patience it takes to achieve any change. What looks easy is usually not!

No comments:

Post a Comment